American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Immune to attack; impregnable.
- adj. Impossible to damage, injure, or wound.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not vulnerable; incapable of being wounded, hurt, or harmed.
- Hence Not to be damaged or injuriously affected by attack: as, invulnerable arguments or evidence.
- adj. Incapable of being wounded, or of receiving injury; not vulnerable.
- adj. Unanswerable; irrefutable; unable to be damaged by an attack or convinced; as, an invulnerable argument.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Incapable of being wounded, or of receiving injury.
- adj. Unanswerable; irrefutable; that can not be refuted or convinced.
- adj. immune to attack; impregnable.
- From Latin invulnerābilis, from vulnerābilis, from vulnerō ("I wound"), from vulnus ("wound"). (Wiktionary)
- French invulnérable, from Old French, from Latin invulnerābilis : in-, not; see in-1 + vulnerāre, to wound (from vulnus, vulner-, wound; see vulnerable). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The more invulnerable the Empire is, the more invulnerable is Canada.”
“The mystic is, in short, invulnerable, and must be left, whether we relish it or not, in undisturbed enjoyment of his creed.”
“The riveting actor, best known as the invulnerable RoboCop, has brilliantly hit the skids as Stan Liddy, a corrupt Miami PD officer who gets busted by Internal Affairs.”
“Ianni points also to studies of so-called invulnerable adolescents -- those who develop into stable young adults in spite of coming from troubled homes, or other adversity.”
“Its technology is so new, so revolutionary, that everyone assumes its so-called invulnerable defences will be impenetrable.”
“He might have been called the invulnerable dwarf of the fray.”
“The presence of an "invulnerable" nation among nations that are "vulnerable" means inevitable aggression and war, a perpetual menace to civilisation and humanity.”
“Still, its effects upon this "invulnerable" god were of a marked order.”
“Feeling "invulnerable" on the job ( "layoffs won't affect me; I am IN CHARGE!")”
“Kevin Horrigan: Helping troops become 'invulnerable”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘invulnerable’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
portend... omen.../whats to come
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Words coined by Shakespeare
Looking for tweets for invulnerable.