from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to restriction.
- adj. Tending or serving to restrict; limiting.
- adj. Grammar Of, relating to, or being a subordinate clause or phrase that identifies the noun, phrase, or clause it modifies and limits or restricts its meaning, as the clause who live in glass houses in People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Confining, limiting, containing with in defined bounds.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Serving or tending to restrict; limiting
- adj. Astringent or styptic in effect.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Serving to bind or draw together; astringent; styptic.
- Having the property of limiting or of expressing limitation: as, a restrictive particle or clause.
- Imposing restrictions; operating through restrictions.
- Expressing a restriction, or involving a restriction, in the logical sense.
- Also restringent.
- n. A styptic or astringent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of tariff) protective of national interests by restricting imports
- adj. serving to restrict
Sorry, no etymologies found.