American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Precisely defined or explicit.
- adj. Supplying or being a final settlement or decision; conclusive. See Synonyms at decisive.
- adj. Authoritative and complete: a definitive biography. See Usage Note at definite.
- adj. Biology Fully formed or developed, as an organ or structure.
- n. Grammar A word that defines or limits, such as the definite article or a demonstrative pronoun.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Limiting the extent; determinate; positive; express: as, a definitive term.
- Ending; determining; final; conclusive: opposed to conditional, provisional, or interlocutory.
- Specifically— In biology, completely formed; fixed and finished: opposed to primitive or formative: as, the definitive aorta; a definitive anus.
- In logic, applied to a judgment which is accompanied by a full assent of the mind.
- In metaphysics, having position without occupying space.
- n. In grammar, a defining or limiting word, as an article, a demonstrative, or the like.
- To make definite.
- adj. explicitly defined
- adj. conclusive or decisive
- adj. definite, authoritative and complete
- adj. philately general, not issued for commemorative purposes
- n. grammar a word, such as a definite article or demonstrative pronoun, that defines or limits something
- n. philately an ordinary postage stamp that is part of a series of all denominations or is reprinted as needed to meet demand
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Determinate; positive; final; conclusive; unconditional; express.
- adj. Limiting; determining.
- adj. obsolete Determined; resolved.
- n. (Gram.) A word used to define or limit the extent of the signification of a common noun, such as the definite article, and some pronouns.
- adj. clearly defined or formulated
- adj. of recognized authority or excellence
- adj. supplying or being a final or conclusive settlement
“Dr Patricio Bustos, who directs Chile's Medical Legal Service, announced the autopsy results, which he described as definitive.”
“If a disarmament and the group's dissolution were fully implemented, ETA's move—which it referred to as a "definitive" halt to armed activity, rather than a cease-fire—would represent a milestone in Spanish history.”
“WELNA: Holbrooke told Luger he would go from the hearing back to Afghanistan, where he said he did not yet see what he called a definitive turning point in either direction.”
“FEYERICK (on camera): The Commission hopes to provide what it calls the definitive account of 9/11 and ways to save even more lives if a terror attack should happen again.”
“Dr. Patricio Bustos, who directs Chile's Medical Legal Service, announced the autopsy results, which he described as definitive.”
“Feast features a scoring system that brings together a wide range of reviews, ratings and opinions and produces what it calls a definitive score known as the Feast Rank.”
“Obama laid out for forging what he termed the definitive partnership of the 21st century.”
“Intrawest officials announced what they called a definitive deal Tuesday morning, ending months of speculation on the sale of Intrawest's interests at Copper Mountain.”
“Officials from Intrawest, which had owned Copper Mountain, announced what they called a definitive deal with Powdr Corp.”
“Whether or not we perceive the anthology in question as trying to be broad or otherwise definitive, is on us.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘definitive’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Use these and get promoted
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Bring forth the cathartic illumination on malignant,maniacal,medical,menage a trios and more egotists stymie
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
My list of words.
A list of words that I have generated over time.
Looking for tweets for definitive.