from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Precisely limited or defined; definite: a determinate number; a determinate distance.
- adj. Conclusively settled; final.
- adj. Firm in purpose; resolute.
- adj. Botany Terminating in a flower and blooming in a sequence beginning with the uppermost or central flower; cymose: a determinate inflorescence.
- adj. Botany Not continuing indefinitely at the tip of an axis: determinate growth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of growth: ending once a genetically predetermined structure has formed.
- n. A single state of a particular determinable attribute.
- v. To bring to an end; to determine.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having defined limits; not uncertain or arbitrary; fixed; established; definite.
- adj. Conclusive; decisive; positive.
- adj. Determined or resolved upon.
- adj. Of determined purpose; resolute.
- transitive v. To bring to an end; to determine. See determine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To bring to an end; terminate.
- Having defined limits; fixed; definite; clearly defined or definable; particular: as, a determinate quantity of matter.
- Predetermined; settled; positive: as, a determinate rule or order.
- Decisive; conclusive.
- Determined upon; intended.
- Fixed in purpose; resolute; determined.
- n. In Weismann's doctrine of determinants, any cell which has distinctive hereditary qualities.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not continuing to grow indefinitely at the apex
- adj. precisely determined or limited or defined; especially fixed by rule or by a specific and constant cause
- adj. supplying or being a final or conclusive settlement
Middle English, from Latin dēterminātus, past participle of dētermināre, to determine; see determine.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin dēterminātus, perfect passive participle of dēterminō ("limit, set bounds"). (Wiktionary)