from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Being without exception or qualification; absolute. See Synonyms at explicit.
- adj. Of or relating to a category or categories.
- adj. According to or using categories: a categorical arrangement of specimens.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. absolute; having no exception
- adj. of, pertaining to, or using a category or categories
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a category.
- adj. Not hypothetical or relative; admitting no conditions or exceptions; declarative; absolute; positive; express.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to a category or the categories: opposed to transcendental.
- Stated unconditionally; not limited to a hypothetical state of things: as, a categorical proposition (that is, a simple, unconditional proposition).
- Applicable to the actual circumstances; stating the fact; pertinent; positive; precise; clear: as, a categorical answer (that is, an answer that clearly meets the question).
- n. In logic, a proposition which affirms a thing absolutely and without any hypothesis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or included in a category or categories
- adj. not modified or restricted by reservations
Sorry, no etymologies found.