from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or based on a hypothesis: a hypothetical situation. See Synonyms at theoretical.
- adj. Suppositional; uncertain. See Synonyms at supposed.
- adj. Conditional; contingent.
- n. A hypothetical circumstance, condition, scenario, or situation: OK, let's consider this possibility then—just as a hypothetical.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Based upon a hypothesis; conjectural
- adj. conditional; contingent upon some hypothesis/antecedent
- n. A hypothetical situation or proposition
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as hypothetic, and the more common form.
- A proposition consisting of two or more clauses united by conjunctions, or which states a relation to exist between different possibilities.
- n. A hypothetical proposition.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a hypothetical possibility, circumstance, statement, proposal, situation, etc.
- adj. based primarily on surmise rather than adequate evidence
From Greek hupothetikos, from hupothetos, placed under, supposed, from hupotithenai, to suppose; see hypothesis.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek ὑποθετικός (hupothetikos) (Wiktionary)