from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A chair with side structures to support the arms or elbows.
- adj. Remote from active involvement: armchair warriors in the Pentagon; an armchair traveler.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A chair with supports for the arms or elbows.
- adj. Remote from actual involvement, including a person retired from previously active involvement.
- adj. Unqualified or uninformed but yet giving advice, especially on technical issues, such as law, architecture, medicine, military theory, or sports.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A chair with arms to support the elbows or forearms.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A chair with arms to support the elbows.
- In one's arm-chair; seated comfortably at home; fireside; hence, theoretical, not practical: as, arm-chair geographers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. chair with a support on each side for arms
Sorry, no etymologies found.