from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A closet or cabinet, usually with shelves for storing food, crockery, and utensils.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An enclosed storage space with a door, usually having shelves, used to store crockery, food, etc.
- n. A table or sideboard on which to display or store cups, dishes etc.
- v. To collect, as into a cupboard; to hoard.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A board or shelf for cups and dishes.
- n. A small closet in a room, with shelves to receive cups, dishes, food, etc.; hence, any small closet.
- transitive v. To collect, as into a cupboard; to hoard.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To gather as into a cupboard; hoard up.
- n. Originally, a table on which cups and other vessels, of gold or silver, or of earthenware, for household use or ornament, were kept or displayed; later, a table with shelves, a sideboard, buffet, or cabinet, open or closed, used for such purpose; in modern use, generally, a series of shelves, inclosed or placed in a closet, for keeping cups, dishes, and other table-ware.
- n. A similar sideboard, cabinet, or closet of shelves for the keeping of provisions about to be used.
- n. Hence The set or collection of silver or gold plate, fine glass, decorated ceramic ware, etc., usually kept in a cupboard. Compare credence, 4.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small room (or recess) or cabinet used for storage space
And while the prospect of finding my boss dead and stuffed into a cupboard is appealing, I think I will pass on the The War Against Miss Winter.
I haven't posted about Amelie Nothomb in a while but that doesn't mean I've stopped reading her out of choice, the cupboard is almost bare and I'm reduced to famine rationing because supplies in English are running low after that very greedy feast I had in the early days.
Yes, the cupboard is a low one the kids can access.
-- Besides, "he added," I never can find anything in what you call the cupboard behind the curtain of the story.
So here's what I 'created' today that took pretty much no effort, and was created just because I went through a bunch of crap in cupboard to throw it all out, and thought I should do something with this.
I have that exact box of custard powder as a permanent fixture in my food cupboard … which, considering the tiny size of my cupboard is saying a lot.
App Catalog: Similar to the initial iPhone and Android launches, the software cupboard is bare, with only a dozen apps or so.
THE GOOD NEWS: Though the team loses a huge chunk of its production this offseason in the form of Lazar Hayward, Maurice Acker and David Cubillan, the cupboard is not entirely bare for the Golden Eagles in 2010-11.
The Zips should figure in the MAC title picture next season, since the cupboard is stocked with experienced talent.
Making a cat use a cramped cupboard is not a good idea.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.