from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A flight or series of flights of steps and a supporting structure connecting separate levels. Also called stairway.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a flight of stairs; a stairway
- n. a connected set of flights of stairs; a stairwell
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A flight of stairs with their supporting framework, casing, balusters, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The part of a building which contains the stairs: also often used for stairs or flight of stairs. Staircases are straight or winding. The straight are technically called fliers or direct fliers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a way of access (upward and downward) consisting of a set of steps
At the top of the staircase is a small landing that separates two bedrooms to the right and left.
Under the staircase is a little roome for a butler, thence the staires to the Cellars; this is between the back staires wch are very good and light, and wanscoated up to the garrets, and the great staires wch are very handsome painted white, the Rooffe an oval of Cupids.
Knight Frank One of the bedroom suites is in the tower, accessed via a staircase from the first floor.
The first floor has a kitchen, bathroom, and a bedroom with two double beds; up the spiral staircase is another bedroom with 2 twin beds.
Our staircase is lined with original art including this spasm-inducing homage piece by Jim Rugg.
"For Jairo to do something like this is crazy," said third-floor resident John Bonilla, 59, who saw a bloody trail on the staircase from the second floor down to the hallway of the first floor.
Features: Elegant main staircase, entry hallway to powder room, formal living room with wood-burning fireplace, double French doors to sunroom, dining room with gas fireplace, antique wall scones, in-ground heated swimming pool.
The grand staircase is the focal point, an exciting sculptural feature which connects all the different levels that accommodate the Armani universe range by range.
A spiral staircase is the centerpiece of the home and connects the levels.
I think a circular staircase is one of the most beautiful things in the world … and then I see the slide!!!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.