from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An open space surrounded by walls or buildings, adjoining or within a building such as a large house or housing complex.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an area, open to the sky, partially or wholly surrounded by walls or buildings
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A court or inclosure attached to a house.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A court or an inclosure about a house or adjacent to it.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an area wholly or partly surrounded by walls or buildings
court + yard (Wiktionary)