from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of enclosing.
- n. The state of being enclosed.
- n. Something enclosed: a business letter with a supplemental enclosure.
- n. Something that encloses.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something enclosed, i.e. inserted into a letter or similar package.
- n. The act of enclosing, i.e. the insertion or inclusion of an item in a letter or package.
- n. An area, domain, or amount of something partially or entirely enclosed by barriers.
- n. The act of separating and surrounding an area, domain, or amount of something with a barrier.
- n. The post-feudal process of subdivision of common lands for individual ownership.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Inclosure. See inclosure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a structure consisting of an area that has been enclosed for some purpose
- n. something (usually a supporting document) that is enclosed in an envelope with a covering letter
- n. the act of enclosing something inside something else
- n. a naturally enclosed space
Sorry, no etymologies found.
While we would welcome submissions that revisit the early modern European context to which the term enclosure has typically been applied, we strongly encourage works from any time period, especially those that critically examine the broad applicability of the term and those that venture beyond the European and North American contexts.
They call it "canned hunting" no matter how big the enclosure is and say it threatens the foundations of the sport.
Most of my listeners today must know England already and even those of you who have visited it once only will agree with me that the enclosure is the most far reaching feature of our scenery.
At the southern extremity of the enclosure is a high mound, which is called the citadel, crowned with extensive ruins.
Ballot Measure 2 was sponsored by Roger Kaseman, a lifelong North Dakota hunter who came to believe that hunting animals in an enclosure is unethical and antithetical to the American tradition of "fair chase" hunting.
When you write a report ensure that each enclosure is clearly marked, easily distinguishable from others attached.
That clear HDD enclosure is awesome!! anyone know what brand/model it is?
Nils then reviewed the troops lined up outside the penguin enclosure at the zoo, waddling down the row of uniformed soldiers, occasionally stopping to crane his neck and peer inquisitively at their crisp uniforms before being guided forward by his handler.
It would be an RSS file which could contain enclosure links to other RSS feeds.
My sheep sleep in an enclosure, a fold; and the enclosure is high enough to guard my sheep from wolves that roam by night.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.