from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The circumstances or conditions that surround one; surroundings.
- n. The totality of circumstances surrounding an organism or group of organisms, especially:
- n. The combination of external physical conditions that affect and influence the growth, development, and survival of organisms: "We shall never understand the natural environment until we see it as a living organism” ( Paul Brooks).
- n. The complex of social and cultural conditions affecting the nature of an individual or community.
- n. Computer Science The entire set of conditions under which one operates a computer, as it relates to the hardware, operating platform, or operating system.
- n. Computer Science An area of a computer's memory used by the operating system and some programs to store certain variables to which they need frequent access.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The surroundings of, and influences on, a particular item of interest.
- n. The natural world or ecosystem.
- n. All the elements over which a designer has no control and that affect a system or its inputs and outputs.
- n. A particular political or social setting, arena or condition.
- n. The software and/or hardware existing on any particular computer system.
- n. The environment of a function at a point during the execution of a program is the set of identifiers in the function's scope and their bindings at that point.
- n. The set of variables and their values in a namespace that an operating system associates with a process.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Act of environing; state of being environed.
- n. That which environs or surrounds; surrounding conditions, influences, or forces, by which living forms are influenced and modified in their growth and development.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of environing or surrounding, or the state of being environed.
- n. That which environs; the aggregate of surrounding things or conditions.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the totality of surrounding conditions
- n. the area in which something exists or lives
As if environ + -ment; compare to French environnement. (Wiktionary)