American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An ecological community together with its environment, functioning as a unit.
- n. A system formed by an ecological community and its environment that functions as a unit.
- n. The interconnectedness of organisms (plants, animals, microbes) with each other and their environment.
- n. business, marketing A set of interconnected products and services.
- n. a system formed by the interaction of a community of organisms with their physical environment
“In fact, the term ecosystem refers to a self-organizing and self-regulating interaction of independent organisms; it is not a checklist of the local flora and fauna.”
“Ongoing research projects include: evaluating the ‘insurance value’ of biodiversity in the provision of ecosystem services; creating a framework for understanding how ecosystem structure, function and process relate to the literature’s use of the term ecosystem services; global scale mapping and valuation of ecosystem services using GIS land cover maps and environmental economic valuation techniques.”
“But the FCC said last year that a "healthy broadband ecosystem" is only possible if other devices can do the same thing.”
“University of South Florida's Ernst Peebles said the oil on the floor "is undermining the ecosystem from the bottom up.”
“If Europeans were whales, biologists would be alarmed that their ecosystem is not healthy.”
“These days the Newfoundland ecosystem is being altered by over browsing from the more than 750,000 moose that call the Rock home.”
“The first step to recovery of the Gulf marine ecosystem is to identify all sources of past, present and future environmental degradation, including fully understanding the long-term impacts of the BP oil disaster.”
“For all the talk about a chronic shortage of exits for venture-backed companies, one segment of the venture capital technology ecosystem is poised to go from "hot" to "hotter": Cyber-security.”
“The closed ecosystem is getting to me more and more.”
“For all the talk about a chronic shortage of exits for venture-backed companies, one segment of the venture capital technology ecosystem is poised to go from "hot" to "hotter".”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ecosystem’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
An Ecosystem of earth/life-related words.
random scientific terms from a group of one hundred 16-18 year olds to choose 100 words that, in their collective opinion, represent crucial factors and concepts influencing trends in science today...
My big word list.
Very basic words for ESL students.
relating to ecology
Current vocabulary words for the 8th grade's Global Issues unit.
Looking for tweets for ecosystem.