from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Advocacy for or work toward protecting the natural environment from destruction or pollution.
- n. The theory that environment rather than heredity is the primary influence on intellectual growth and cultural development.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A political and social ideology that seeks to prevent the environment from degradation by human activity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the philosophical doctrine that environment is more important than heredity in determining intellectual growth
- n. the activity of protecting the environment from pollution or destruction
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Ironically, this win-win environmentalism is being opposed by the Bush administration.
Rampant 'environmentalism' is a first world import that Mexico should actively discourage.
Once again, environmentalism is thinly veiled socialist propaganda.
Meanwhile, the religion of environmentalism is still claiming the opposite.
Now Jon Udell joins the dots and points out that we have an equivalent problem in environmentalism: Carbon Theatre.
To which Lynn Kiesling replied, one organization that does provide insights into "Austrian entrepreneurship" applied to environmentalism is PERC:
Besides hindering expansion in a number of infrastructure sectors, these regulations -- many in the name of environmentalism -- enable cronyism, as rent-seeking bureaucrats skew the playing field to favor a few businesses.
Liberal environmentalism is about using whatever blah blah blah to kneecap industry and then hang it out to dry in a dull dry August wind until it returns to unlife in zombie form.
February 14th, 2009 at 6: 00 pm conservative environmentalism was about protecting the environment, while liberal environmentalism is about using that as a pretext to hamstring industry.
There are two principles under consideration here: a heartfelt committment to conservation and environmentalism is one, leadership consisting of integrity and full transparency of intent is the other.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.