from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of gird.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That with which one is girded; a girdle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Gibing; taunting; sarcastic.
- n. The act of binding, confining, or retaining with a girdle: usually with up.
- n. The use or office of a girdle in retaining garments; also, something girded on.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
But the problem is less in the numbers than in the Corps's general approach - that is, the idea of girding for a "Katrina-like event."
– I do require a general structure to work with, one that is flexible but also provides some kind of girding to hold up the characters and ideas and themes and moods I’m working with.
"girding" them "with strength unto the battle," and in giving them a
The Palm Beach Post/Zuma Press Chili's restaurants, like this one in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., are girding for insurance expenses to rise under the new U.S. health-care law.
After a long tough winter, many grizzlies, black bears, wolves and cougars are girding themselves for the onslaught of "sportsmen" wielding high-powered rifles in search of "trophies."
Christians and Jews in the USA often cite the religious values girding our democracy.
I have never been back to the site and don't know if or when I will again, but I am girding myself for the 9/11 Ground Hog Day, the painful and frightening images that reappear for days, over and over again with a vengeance.
The keepers of Wall Street history were girding for the storm as well.
Supervalu Inc., the U.S.'s fourth-largest food retailer by sales behind leader Wal-Mart Stores Inc., is girding for lower availability of some key vegetables because of the deep freeze, Mexico's worst in more than 50 years.
Francisco; Grimshaw resting his ham-hands on his colossal knees and girding at the pawnbroker to contribute as much to the adventure as he was contributing from his wheat-ranches; Simon
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.