from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A painted cloth hung at the back of a stage set. Also called backcloth.
- n. The setting, as of a historical event; the background.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A decorated cloth hung at the back of a stage.
- n. The setting or background of a historical event.
- v. To serve as a backdrop for.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the scenery hung at back of stage. Also called in Britain backcloth.
- n. the background, setting, or circumstances of an event.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. scenery hung at back of stage
Sorry, no etymologies found.