American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Glistening brightness; luster: the sheen of old satin in candlelight.
- n. Splendid attire.
- n. A glossy surface given to textiles.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Fair; bright; shining; glittering; beautiful.
- To shine; glisten.
- n. Brightness; luster; splendor.
- n. An obsolete (Scotch) plural of shoe.
- adj. beautiful, good-looking, attractive; radiant; shiny.
- n. splendor; radiance; shininess.
- v. To shine; to glisten.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. R., except in poetry. Bright; glittering; radiant; fair; showy; sheeny.
- v. Poetic To shine; to glisten.
- n. Brightness; splendor; glitter.
- n. the visual property of something that shines with reflected light
- From Middle English shene, from Old English scīene ("beautiful, fair, bright, brilliant, light"), from Proto-Germanic *skauniz (“beautiful”), from Proto-Indo-European *(s)ḱoun- (“quick, dashing, beautiful”). Cognate with Dutch schoon ("clean, beautiful, fair"), German schön ("beautiful"), Danish skjøn ("beautiful"), Swedish skön ("beautiful, fine"). Extra-Germanic congnates include Albanian hir ("grace, blessing, goodwill"). (Wiktionary)
- From Middle English shene, beautiful, from Old English scīene. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The product, at the end of the day, is a very literary, heavy on style monkeyism, story which might just have a thin sheen of SF patina on it.”
“Because no one gives a crap about her and she doesn't have to worry about any voter retaliation if they take a definitive stance either way. orange cinema why is it that she can specifically & directly pose at least one solution to our severe economic problem, and neither of our tapdancing flip-flopping candidates can? and btw martin sheen is still a badass. blog comments powered by Disqus”
“My favourite SF shows are all American, although maybe there's a certain sheen added by cultural distance.”
“In fact, a single drop of crude oil dropped into relatively still water in the Gulf can spread out to form a sheen the size of several football fields, even though the sheen is only a few microns thick.”
“When the morning morrowed in sheen and shone, Nur al-Din awoke from deep sleep and found that she had brought water: 484 so they made the Ghusl-ablution, he and she, and he performed that which behoved him of prayer to his Lord, after which she set before him meat and drink, and he ate and drank.”
“When dawn broke and morn arose in sheen and shone, the Fakirs went to seek the”
“On her right cheek is a mole and on her waist, under her navel, is a sign; her face shines as the rondure of the moon in sheen, her waist is slight, her hips a heavy weight, and the water of her mouth the sick doth heal, as it were Kausar or”
“And when day-break dawned and the star of morn appeared in sheen and shone, he broke up the sitting and, dismissing the youths, donned his court-dress and leaving his house set out for the palace of the”
“They aren't altogether bad, but they have a certain sheen to them that looks flat and polished.”
“On the lesser, the sheen is purple, and the males have a small bump behind the crown.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sheen’.
( open list, visual, light, descriptive )
glisten, gleam, sparkle, shine, shimmer, gloss, pearly, opalescent, iridescent, prismatic, multifaceted, glow and 35 more...
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
The Velvetine Ruffians
portend... omen.../whats to come
Words that I do not know or unsure for toefl
Looking for tweets for sheen.