American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To shine with a subdued flickering light. See Synonyms at flash.
- v. To appear as a wavering or flickering image, as in a reflection on water or through heat waves in air.
- n. A flickering or tremulous light; a glimmer.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To shine with a veiled, tremulous light; gleam faintly.
- n. A faint or veiled and tremulous gleam or shining.
- n. A workman in cabinet-work or other fine woodwork who fills up cracks or makes parts fit by the insertion of shims or thin pieces.
- In mech., to correct an inequality by inserting a thin slip or shim.
- v. intransitive To shine with a veiled, tremulous, or intermittent light; to gleam faintly; to glisten; to glimmer.
- n. A faint or veiled and tremulous gleam or shining; a glimmer.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To shine with a tremulous or intermittent light; to shine faintly; to gleam; to glisten; to glimmer.
- n. A faint, tremulous light; a gleaming; a glimmer.
- v. shine with a weak or fitful light
- v. give off a shimmering reflection, as of silk
- n. a weak and tremulous light
- Old English scymrian or Norse skimi. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English shimeren, from Old English scimerian. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“This dreamy shimmer is a tension that both sustains the poems idealism and exposes the ideological bind of proffering poetry as the thing to be done in political crisis”
“As tiny, pretty mega-talent Cher Lloyd stepped on to the X Factor stage last month in shimmer foundation, squashed-spider eyelashes and over-pruned brows, only for Louis Walsh to trill, You're 16?”
“They call it a "shimmer" - a glint, a glitter, a glisten.”
“You type in -war" (knocking the errant hair aside as you strike the A), and watch the word shimmer like a line of phosphorescent battle dust on the PC screen.”
“I used a creamier face and body shimmer, which is easier to work with than watery/gel-based products, which are good for the body but hard to work with on the face.”
“The texture of the lipstick is lovely, not too opaque and with slight "wet" shimmer, which is exactly what I like.”
“Galead saw the Stone set in the sword shimmer and pale.”
“In order to sell flats to people who might not like the idea of council estates, the developers wanted what the architects call "shimmer".”
“Giant honeybees are known to flip their bellies up en masse to create a giant wave called a shimmer, somewhat akin to humans rhythmically throwing their hands in the air in a wave at a football game.”
“Can you see in the upper right hand corner how the snowflakes have a kind of shimmer to them?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘shimmer’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
This is Ghost List 2 ( the kind that go 'boo!' ) :P
( open list )
Words chosen as favorites for the Twitter hashtag #faveword.
favorites, of all sorts
good words that i think of at random times.
( open list, visual, light, descriptive )
glisten, gleam, sparkle, shine, shimmer, gloss, pearly, opalescent, iridescent, prismatic, multifaceted, glow and 35 more...
Looking for tweets for shimmer.