American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To move with a twisting or whirling motion; eddy.
- v. To be dizzy or disoriented.
- v. To be arranged in a spiral, whorl, or twist.
- v. To cause to move with a twisting or whirling motion. See Synonyms at turn.
- v. To form into or arrange in a spiral, whorl, or twist.
- n. A whirling or eddying motion or mass: a swirl of white water.
- n. Something, such as a curl of hair, that coils, twists, or whirls.
- n. Whirling confusion or disorder: "high-pressure farce built around the swirl of mistaken identities” ( Jay Carr).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To form eddies; whirl in eddies; have a whirling motion; whirl about.
- To give a whirling motion to.
- n. A whirling motion; an eddy, as of water; gyration; whirl.
- n. Hence Specifically, in angling, the rush of a fish through the water when it rises to a fly.
- n. A twist or convolution, as in the grain of wood; a curl; a spot marked by swirling.
- n. Same as swire, 2.
- n. a whirling eddy
- n. a twist or coil of something
- v. To twist or whirl, as an eddy
- v. To be arranged in a twist, spiral or whorl
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To whirl, or cause to whirl, as in an eddy.
- n. A whirling motion; an eddy, as of water; a whirl.
- v. turn in a twisting or spinning motion
- v. flow in a circular current, of liquids
- n. the shape of something rotating rapidly
- Middle English swyrl, eddy, probably of Low German or Scandinavian origin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“According to the National Hurricane Center (NHC), the gap between the nearest storms and the near-surface swirl is over 100 miles.”
“Soon I graduated from a plain, white-flour pan loaf to sweet cinnamon-raisin swirl, dark whole wheat and molasses, and eclectic beet-spiked loaves, along with pretzels and most recently, the quintessential bagel!”
“Use a small star tip (I think I used #18) and make a swirl from the inside out.”
“I saw the pumpkin swirl brownies on your site and was wondering if the 1/4 cup is necessary?”
“The swirl is just beautiful ... wish I knew the secret!”
“I love the bottom right soap - the swirl is very crisp and clean.”
“It really was very good. the bits of waffle cone are coated in choclate so they stay crunchy and the caramel swirl is perfectly integrated.”
“I wish you could smell it; a divine and delicious combination of aromas swirl from a well-made batch of ma po.”
“And often a broad swirl from a taking fish as well.”
“Those waters swirl from the rocky battlements of Parliament Hill through St. James Street, Bay Street, and into the unfathomed canyons of Wall Street.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘swirl’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
My boyfriend and I started this list my Junior or Senior year of High school. It hasn't been added to in a while. It was a list of words that we thought sounded universally cute or had universal as...
Just what it sounds like. My favorites. Five letters.
Words to describe decorative elements
This is a collection of words I love, old ones that I love the sound of when I repeat them for years and new ones coined in news articles on up and coming trends and technologies - most of them I k...
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
Looking for tweets for swirl.