from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A surname of French origin.
- proper n. A male given name transferred from the surname.
- proper n. A female given name.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The common European blackbird, Turdus merula or Merula vulgaris. See cut under blackbird.
- n. An obsolete form of marl.
- n. A West Indian name for orioles of the genus Cassicus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. common black European thrush
From French Merle. (Wiktionary)
English 19th century bird name from merle, blackbird, possibly also a variant of Muriel, Merrill, etc. (Wiktionary)