from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An uproar; a hubbub.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A stir; a fuss or uproar.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the confused noise of many voices.
- n. a confused disturbance far greater than its cause merits.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. loud confused noise from many sources
- n. a confused disturbance far greater than its cause merits
French, of imitative origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French brouhaha, but disputed as to where from before that. Possibly from Hebrew בָּרוּךְ הַבָּא (barúkh habá, "welcome", literally "blessed is he who comes"). (Wiktionary)