American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A jumble of loud, usually discordant sounds. See Synonyms at noise.
- v. To stun with deafening noise.
- v. To instill by wearying repetition: dinned the Latin conjugations into the students' heads.
- v. To make a loud noise.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A loud noise of some duration; particularly, a rattling, clattering, or resonant sound, long continued: as, the din of arms.
- To strike with continued or confused noise; vex with noise; harass with clamor or persistent protestations.
- To press or force with clamor or with persistent repetition: as, to din one's complaints into everybody's ears.
- To make a noise or clamor.
- n. A judgment.
- n. A law suit; a plea or cause.
- n. A law or precept. There are four rabbinical codes containing all the dinim (precepts), ecclesiastical and secular, by which every dayan, or judge, is guided.
- n. See pahad.
- n. A loud noise; a cacophony or loud commotion.
- v. obsolete To be filled with sound; to resound.
- v. transitive To assail with loud noise.
- v. transitive To repeat continuously, as though to the point of deafening or exhausting somebody.
- v. intransitive To make a din.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Loud, confused, harsh noise; a loud, continuous, rattling or clanging sound; clamor; roar.
- v. To strike with confused or clanging sound; to stun with loud and continued noise; to harass with clamor.
- v. To utter with a din; to repeat noisily; to ding.
- v. To sound with a din; a ding.
- v. instill (into a person) by constant repetition
- v. make a resonant sound, like artillery
- n. the act of making a noisy disturbance
- n. a loud harsh or strident noise
- From Old English dynnan, from Proto-Germanic *dunjan, from the same stem as Etymology 1, above. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English dine, from Old English dyne. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“A nice steady din is critical to a creative environment, and the groups of people coming and going allowed for plenty of people-watching and lent their quirks to more than a few characters.”
“The tool that eliminates background din is called "NewBlue Hum Remover" and is only discovered by opening Edit, Effects and an almost unnoticeable drop-down menu called Audio Effects.”
“The din from the Left is expected since a flawed and immoral position was rammed down the throats of the People for so long, not to mention Gun Control was held for so long as a truism and main platform by the radical members Democratic Party.”
“That din din you prepared sounds anything but scaled down; very nice!”
“I mean ... try saying those words to a nun. sana lang po b4 tayo magsalita isipin din natin tnx poSay that to her.”
“Sure their lawyers-are-coming-after-us paranoia gets a little tiresome after awhile, but that's just a symptom of our country's political climate, in which the only way to make sure you're heard above the din is to act slightly hysterical.”
“And there are a dozen adult roosters and hens now, with 13, count'em, chicks running around now, plus the usual feral cats which make their way over to our casa for din din and sterilization when we can catch them.”
“The U.S. Open champion blocked out the din from the Slovak crowd Sunday and kept the United States in the top tier of the Davis Cup.”
“The first impression of all, overmastering everything else for a while, is the frightful, deafening din from the conveyor belt which carries the coal away.”
“I wander forth and a child directs me to a six-room cottage, "a real bo'din'-house.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘din’.
words for quiet sounds
( randomness, descriptive )
¡La única lista que también incluye flexiónes verbales y pluralizaciones! Ayúdame a encontrarlas todas.
(Por ser una lista para Scrabble, los dígrafos ll, rr, y ch valen como una sola ...
A list of English words that are three letters long.
In an age of texting, it's better if it can be said shorter . . .
Shhh! Listen! Did you hear that?
These are some words I didn't know when I read and now I want to know!
Looking for tweets for din.