from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To chirp or to make a mournful cry, as a bird does.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Noise; din; esp.; confused noise, clamor, or hum of many voices, notes of birds, or the like.
- intransitive v. To chirp or to make a mournful cry, as a bird.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To chirp as a bird.
- To emit a mournful sound, as birds collected together before a storm.
- To utter as with a chirp.
- n. Clamor; confused noise.
- n. Specifically, the mournful sound emitted before a storm by birds collected together.
Compare chirp and Anglo-Saxon cyrman, cirman, to cry out. (Wiktionary)