from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A confusion of sounds or voices. See Synonyms at noise.
- n. A scene of noise and confusion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of Babel.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The city and tower in the land of Shinar, where the confusion of languages took place.
- n. Hence: A place or scene of noise and confusion; a confused mixture of sounds, as of voices or languages.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Semitic name of the city (Babylon) where, according to Gen. xi., the construction of a tower that would reach to heaven was attempted, and where the confusion of tongues took place. See Babylonian. Hence A lofty structure.
- n. A visionary scheme.
- n. A scene of noise and confusion, as a great city or a riotous assemblage.
- n. [cap. or lowercase] A confused mixture of sounds; confusion; disorder.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Genesis 11:1-11) a tower built by Noah's descendants (probably in Babylon) who intended it to reach up to heaven; God foiled them by confusing their language so they could no longer understand one another
- n. a confusion of voices and other sounds
After Babel .(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)