from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Something wanted or needed that comes or happens unexpectedly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An unexpected good fortune or benefit; a windfall.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Something sent by God; an unexpected acquisiton or piece of good fortune.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Something regarded as sent by God; an un-looked-for acquisition or piece of good fortune.
- n. A sending by God.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sudden happening that brings good fortune (as a sudden opportunity to make money)
Alteration of Middle English goddes sand, God's message : goddes, genitive of God, God; see god + sand, message (from Old English; see sent- in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Middle English goddes sand - God’s message (Wiktionary)