from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of one that blesses.
- n. A short prayer said before or after a meal; grace.
- n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon.
- n. Approbation; approval: This plan has my blessing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. some kind of divine or supernatural aid, or reward.
- n. a pronouncement invoking divine aid.
- n. good fortune.
- n. a modern pagan ceremony.
- n. the act of declaring or bestowing favor; approval.
- n. a thing one is glad of
- n. a prayer before a meal; grace
- n. a group of unicorns.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of one who blesses.
- n. A declaration of divine favor, or an invocation imploring divine favor on some or something; a benediction; a wish of happiness pronounces.
- n. A means of happiness; that which promotes prosperity and welfare; a beneficent gift.
- n. A gift.
- n. Grateful praise or worship.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of invoking or pronouncing happiness upon another or others; benediction.
- n. The form of words used in this invocation or declaration; a (or the) benediction.
- n. The bestowal of divine favor, or of hallowing, protecting, or prospering influences: as, to ask God's blessing on any undertaking.
- n. A temporal or spiritual benefit; anything which makes happy or prosperous; something to be thankful for; a boon or mercy: as, the blessings of life, of health, or of civilization; it is a blessing we fared so well.
- n. Euphemistically, a curse; a scolding; a castigation with words.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the formal act of approving
- n. a ceremonial prayer invoking divine protection
- n. a short prayer of thanks before a meal
- n. the act of praying for divine protection
- n. a desirable state
From Old English bletsung (Wiktionary)