American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Success or good fortune.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A wish of success or prosperity; specifically, as a wish in behalf of another, a prosperous journey.
- interj. An expression of good will when addressing someone, typically someone about to go on a journey or a daring endeavor.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Success; prosperous journeying; -- a contraction of the phrase, “
- n. Good speed; prosperity. See Godspeed.
- n. a successful journey
- From Middle English phrase God spede ("may God cause you to succeed"), from God ("god") + spede, subjunctive of speden ("to prosper"), from Old English spēdan, from spēd ("success") (see speed). (Wiktionary)
- From Middle English God spede (you), may God prosper (you) : God, god; see god + spede, third person sing. present subjunctive of speden, to prosper (from Old English spēdan, from spēd, success; see speed). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Godspeed" is not an autobiography, though Breedlove does call it a roman à clef.”
““Their expression of Godspeed sent shivers of pride down our spines,” Wyatt Butterfield would later say.”
“House Speaker Dennis Hastert was told directly by the president on Saturday that this would be happening, and then this morning, I'm told by his aide that he says his mind is very focused on the men and women, the sailors, the soldiers, carrying out this mission, and he wishes them -- quote -- "Godspeed" -- John.”
“[[Image: Godspeed ship. jpg | right | Ship "Godspeed".]] '' 'Godspeed' '' is a word used to express a wish for God's blessing and success.”
“One power is mine, — without hindrance, in freedom and in right, to say to Ellen's son, "Godspeed" to place Hester Stebbin's hand in his, and bid them forth to the sunrise, into glory of day!”
“Once the "Godspeed" EP is finished in the coming months we'll have it available for download and start on a full length.”
“God decided to give us all another chance so O decided to call his EP "Godspeed".”
“Peggy McMahon wished Mr. Pandit "Godspeed" and blew him a kiss.”
“Snarky Chris' story, "Godspeed," is up, as is another honorable mention poem from our contest, this one a haiku titled "Open.”
“Though less mean and very sober, Lynn Breedlove still looks more or less like the kid on the cover of her novel, "Godspeed," with maybe a decade or two of seniority.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Godspeed’.
like nobody's bui..., soap up, plug away, country club, horse whisperer, cease and desist, eye of the beholder, small-claims court, nut job, heebie-jeebies, hole in the wall, black-tie and 101 more...
Looking for tweets for Godspeed.