from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the act or process of ratifying, or the state of being ratified
- n. a formal declaration of agreement to a treaty etc
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of ratifying; the state of being ratified; confirmation; sanction.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of ratifying; the act by which a competent authority gives sanction and validity to something done by another; also, the state of being ratified; confirmation; as, the ratification of a treaty, or of a contract or promise.
- n. In law, the adoption by a person, as binding upon himself, of an act previously done in his name or on his behalf, or in such relation that he may claim it as done for his benefit, although done under such circumstances as would not bind him except by his subsequent consent, as in the case of an act done by a stranger having at the same time no authority to act as his agent, or by an agent not having adequate authority to do the act.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. making something valid by formally ratifying or confirming it
Sorry, no etymologies found.