from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A seal; a signet.
- n. A sign or an image considered magical.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A seal, signature or signet.
- n. A sign, image or symbol considered to be magical.
- n. A nonalphanumeric character affixed to a symbol (e.g. variable) to indicate a property such as type or scope.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A seal; a signature.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A seal; an abbreviated sign or signature; also, an occult stamp, mark, or sign, as in magic or astrology. See signature, 2.
Latin sigillum, diminutive of signum, sign; see sekw-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin sigillum. (Wiktionary)