from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various swimming and diving birds of the family Podicipedidae, having a pointed bill and lobed, fleshy membranes along each toe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several waterbirds in the cosmopolitan family Podicipedidae. They have strong, sharp bills, and lobate toes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of several swimming birds or divers, of the genus Colymbus (formerly Podiceps), and allied genera, found in the northern parts of America, Europe, and Asia. They have strong, sharp bills, and lobate toes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bird of the family Podicipedidæ (which see for technical characters); a diving bird, related to the loons or divers, but pinnatiped or lobe-footed, with a rudimentary tail, naked lores, and, in most species, a crest on the head.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small compact-bodied almost completely aquatic bird that builds floating nests; similar to loons but smaller and with lobate rather than webbed feet
One single species of grebe, which is uneatable, found no grace in the eyes of the young merchant; this was the “caiarara,” as quick to dive as to swim or fly; a bird with a disagreeable cry, but whose down bears a high price in the different markets of the
One single species of grebe, which is uneatable, found no grace in the eyes of the young merchant; this was the _ "caiarara," _ as quick to dive as to swim or fly; a bird with a disagreeable cry, but whose down bears a high price in the different markets of the Amazonian basin.
A day when you see a grebe is a day which is not completely wasted.
The luxuriance of the grebe's summer headdress seems somehow out of step with the frigid greyness of this landscape.
April 3rd, 2010 at 6: 13 pm dbadass says: by addressing Eugene Debs instead the pretend grebe doc displays a hardly subtle indicator of exactly where the pretend grebe doc stands in the social heirarchy.
March 23rd, 2010 at 10: 23 pm dbadass says: vet tech at the grebe farm …
If you think the $12.50 in your wallet qualifies as ‘health insurance’ the dread IRS will send an agent to your door and hold a grebe to your head until you either pony up or go to jail.
Remember those grebe populations you did your thesis work with?
March 31st, 2010 at 9: 22 pm dbadass says: so pretend grebe doc do you have any thoughts as to the updates of the Georges bank yellowtail rules?
Copy this and post it everytime lame ass appears … Cram it down his sorry ass throat as if it were a pied bill grebe ….
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.