from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small grebes of the genus Podiceps.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Popular name for the little grebe.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small water bird (Podilymbus podiceps), allied to the grebes, remarkable for its quickness in diving; -- called also dapchick, dobchick, dipchick, didapper, dobber, devil-diver, hell-diver, and pied-billed grebe.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A newly hatched or unfledged chick.
- n. Hence A delectable morsel; a childish, tender, delicate person.
- n. A small grebe; a water-bird of the family Podicipedidæ: especially applied in Europe to the Podiceps minor, the little grebe, and in the United States to the Podilymbus podiceps, the Carolina or pied-billed grebe.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small European grebe
Alteration of dobchick : Middle English doppe, diving bird (from Old English -doppa; see didapper) + chick.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)