from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several small, short-necked freshwater ducks, especially of the genus Anas, that feed on the surface of the water and often have brightly marked plumage.
- n. A moderate or dark bluish green to greenish blue.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various small freshwater ducks of the genus Anas that are brightly coloured and have short necks.
- n. A dark, somewhat bluish-green colour; a dark cyan.
- adj. having a bluish-green colour
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of several species of small fresh-water ducks of the genus Anas and the subgenera Querquedula and Nettion. The male is handsomely colored, and has a bright green or blue speculum on the wings.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small fresh-water duck, of the subfamily Anatinæ and genus Querquedula (or Nettion).
- n. The blue-winged teal.
- n. The act of cajoling or wheedling.
- n. A Welsh dry measure, equal to five Winchester bushels (nearly). A long teal in Pembrokeshire is about eight bushels.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a blue-green color or pigment
- n. any of various small short-necked dabbling river ducks of Europe and America
- adj. of a bluish shade of green
The word teal sounded just as odd, as foreign, as yoga.
The only way in the world to serve a canvas-back or a mallard, or a sprig, or even the toothsome teal, is as follows: The plucked bird should be stuffed with a tight handful of plain raw celery and, in a piping oven, roasted variously 8,9,10, or even 11 minutes, according to the size of bird and heat of oven.
They quickly proposed a Chadian husband for me, and showed me the Chadian version of the women's day wear -- it comes in teal there -- sweet!
In his 1,208th career game, Lemieux got his first penalty minutes in teal with his first scrap in about eight years, by his own count.
The mostly black cards are lovely, the touch of teal is beautiful.
That's already been done in teal by teammate Evgeni Nabokov - and Toskala also found the net before.
Selanne, a San Jose favorite during his 2 1/2 seasons in teal, scored his 82nd point in 54 career games against the Sharks with his fast-break goal.
Feel free, then, to make this David in teal vs. Goliath in pinstripes.
PHOENIX (Ticker) -- The San Jose Sharks proved that teal is more powerful than white.
The teal is the smallest of the British ducks, and one of the prettiest.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.