from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A lengthy or extravagant speech or argument usually intended to persuade.
- transitive v. To talk or say (something) at length or extravagantly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A lengthy and extravagant speech or argument usually intended to persuade.
- n. A fast excuse or sales pitch.
- v. To talk at length.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A game; play; a curling-match.
- n. Talk; a yarn; lingo; patter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. replay (as a melody)
- n. plausible glib talk (especially useful to a salesperson)
- v. speak at great length (about something)
Our standard spiel is to describe our work in the region.
The spiel is a mix of ecology, myth-busting (water moccasins are not found in this region) and safety tips (most bites occur when someone is trying to catch the snake).
Today the sales spiel is that variation (a) isn't a safe bet, either, because "minor league" soccer on the West Coast may be ending soon.
"Her spiel is about relationships and making the best of your relationships."
Teenagers saving the world spiel is seen all too often, but O.K.,
That spiel from the photographer about his battle against sexual inequalities and such is nothing more than a thinly-veiled attempt to get some feminist backside waving in front of his semi-erect self, and to get some hench pictures of boobies and so forth.
Left Behind, that whole spiel is why I can't spend much time reading HA anymore.
The petitioners, and the amici in support, exude the typical spiel from the environmental community that Bush is bad because he doesn't support their our-way-or-no-way agenda.
Part of the Yahoo! spiel is that they see themselves as having one of the world's best kitchens for chefs to come in and do their thing.
His spiel is word-for-word identical in every seminar (I observed parts of three) but sounds spontaneous.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.