from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small grebe, such as the dabchick.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small diving water bird frequenting rivers and fresh waters, specifically a little grebe.
- n. One who disappears for a time and suddenly reappears.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See dabchick.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The dabchick or little grebe of Europe, Podicipes or Sylbeocyclus minor.
- n. One of sundry other small grebes, as the pied-billed dabchick, Podilymbus podicipes.
Middle English didopper, alteration of divedap, from Old English dūfedoppa, pelican : dūfan, to dive; see dive1 + -doppa, a kind of bird.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)