from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several small deer of the genus Muntiacus of southeast Asia and the East Indies. Also called barking deer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various species of east Asian deer of the genus Muntiacus, having short antlers and a barking call.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of several species of small Asiatic deer of the genus Cervulus, esp. Cervulus muntjac, which occurs both in India and on the East Indian Islands.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small deer of Java, Cervulus muntjac, belonging to the subfamily Cervulinæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small Asian deer with small antlers and a cry like a bark
No, the muntjac is a wolf in deer's clothing - and it's taking over
The restaurant specialised in modern British cooking with a French influence, and it was dishes such as muntjac deer with lobster and pan-roasted wood pigeon that had won over the Michelin judges.
The mammalian fauna in the lowlands is typically Indo-Malayan, consisting of langurs (Semnopithecus spp.), Asiatic wild dogs (Cuon alpinus, VU), sloth bears (Melursus ursinus, VU), gaurs (Bos gaurus, VU), and several species of deer, such as muntjac (Muntiacus muntjak) and sambar (Cervus unicolor).
She came a-cropper with a hairy-fronted muntjac and nearly lost her life to an Asiatic black bear.
We also saw muntjac deer, squirrels, feral cats and rabbits (lots of rabbits).
At the other end of the scale, muntjac deer and greylag geese are on the menu in River Cottage Christmas Mon, 8pm, Channel 4.
He wrote the word ‘muntjac’ down in a notebook and looked up at me smiling: ‘I am still learning,’ he said, ‘and I want to learn.’
They were muntjac, the exotic miniature deer that have escaped zoos and gone native in Britain.
Not very good for the flowers and shrubs, but I can imagine Mr. Hamilton finding the muntjac attack curiously amusing.
Nat Geo has the photo of the rediscovered Sumatran muntjac noted previously.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.