from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A leader, especially a political leader.
- n. Archaic A soldier who once served as a guide and model for his company.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The member of a military group who leads the way or demonstrates drill
- n. A political leader, or a ringleader
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A soldier especially expert and well drilled, who takes his place in front of a military company, as a guide for the others in their exercises; a file leader. He originally stood in front of the right wing.
- n. Hence, one who leads the way.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A soldier specially expert and well drilled, who takes his place in front of a military company as an example or model to the others in their exercises; a file-leader.
- n. Hence One who takes the initiative in any movement, and sets an example for others to follow; particularly, one who acts as the mouthpiece or in the interest of another or others; a ringleader.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a leader and organizer and spokesman (especially a political leader)
Alteration of German Flügelmann, file leader : Flügel, wing (from Middle High German vlügel; see pleu- in Indo-European roots) + Mann, man (from Middle High German man, from Old High German; see man-1 in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)