from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cleric who directs the choral services of a church or cathedral.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The person who is the song and/or prayer leader in a cathedral, church, monastery, or synagogue and generally facilitates worship.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The leader of the choir in a cathedral; -- called also the chanter or master of the choir.
- n. The leader of the congregational singing in Scottish and other churches.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A leader or director of a church choir or congregation in singing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the musical director of a choir
Latin praecentor, from praecentus, past participle of praecinere, to sing before : prae-, pre- + canere, to sing; see kan- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)