from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who composes, conducts, or performs music, especially instrumental music.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A composer, conductor, or performer of music.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One skilled in the art or science of music; esp., a skilled singer, or performer on a musical instrument.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who makes music a profession or otherwise devotes himself to it, whether as composer, performer, critic, theorist, or historian.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. artist who composes or conducts music as a profession
- n. someone who plays a musical instrument (as a profession)
Middle English musicien, from Old French, from Latin mūsica, music; see music.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
music + -ian (Wiktionary)