from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A condition that must exist or be established before something can occur or be considered; a prerequisite.
- transitive v. To condition, train, or accustom in advance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A requirement which must be satisfied before taking a course of action.
- v. To condition in advance
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A previous or antecedent condition; a preliminary condition.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An antecedent condition; a condition requisite in advance; a prerequisite.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an assumption on which rests the validity or effect of something else
- n. an assumption that is taken for granted
- n. a condition that is a prerequisite
- v. put into the required condition beforehand
pre- + condition (Wiktionary)