from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of supposing.
- n. Something supposed; an assumption.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something that is supposed; an assumption made to account for known facts, conjecture
- n. The act or an instance of supposing
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of supposing, laying down, imagining, or considering as true or existing, what is known not to be true, or what is not proved.
- n. That which is supposed; hypothesis; conjecture; surmise; opinion or belief without sufficient evidence.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act and mental result of hypothetical inference; that act of mind by which a likelihood is admitted in a proposition on account of the truth of its consequences; a presumption.
- n. The act and mental result of formulating a proposition, without reference to its truth or falsity, for the sake of tracing out its consequences; a hypothesis.
- n. In logic, the way in which a name is to be understood in a given proposition, in reference to its standing for an object of this or that class.
- n. Substitution.
- n. See the adjectives.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence
- n. a hypothesis that is taken for granted
- n. the cognitive process of supposing
Sorry, no etymologies found.