from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of supposing.
- n. Something supposed; an assumption.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something that is supposed; an assumption made to account for known facts, conjecture
- n. The act or an instance of supposing
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of supposing, laying down, imagining, or considering as true or existing, what is known not to be true, or what is not proved.
- n. That which is supposed; hypothesis; conjecture; surmise; opinion or belief without sufficient evidence.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act and mental result of hypothetical inference; that act of mind by which a likelihood is admitted in a proposition on account of the truth of its consequences; a presumption.
- n. The act and mental result of formulating a proposition, without reference to its truth or falsity, for the sake of tracing out its consequences; a hypothesis.
- n. In logic, the way in which a name is to be understood in a given proposition, in reference to its standing for an object of this or that class.
- n. Substitution.
- n. See the adjectives.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence
- n. a hypothesis that is taken for granted
- n. the cognitive process of supposing
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I started out saying "if the authors are correct in their supposition that the rate of melting has greatly increased in the last several years", IOW everything following was based on the authors '(not my) * supposition* being true.
Show by such reasoning that the net affect of their supposition is the end result will be the exact opposite of what they purportedly support or believe in.
The third element in my supposition is the speed of change.
Given that Affleck and Damon are putting together a producing deal with WB now, the supposition is that this could be their first project together for the studio.
Which, contrary to your supposition, is why I call regimes such as USSR, PRC, GDR, DPRK et al communist.
Especially when the supposition is some sort of pan-Muslim jihadi conspiracy!
Because those pesky libruls and their facts, supposition is so much better.
Their supposition is that "public excitement = great bundles of cash rained upon them by Congress."
My supposition is that we will get the same funding for the next thirty years WITH a long-term goal.
As someone who actually had to so research on the very subject, I can tell you, right off the bat, that your supposition is inaccurate.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.