American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act or process of wrecking or destroying, especially destruction by explosives.
- n. Explosives, especially when designed or used as weapons.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of overthrowing, pulling down, or destroying, as a structure; hence, destruction or ruin in general: as, the demolition of a house or of military works; the demolition of a theory.
- n. In French law, abatement; annulment: as, an action in demolition of a servitude or a nuisance.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of overthrowing, pulling down, or destroying a pile or structure; destruction by violence; utter overthrow; -- opposed to
- n. the act of demolishing
- n. an event (or the result of an event) that completely destroys something
- Latin dēmōlītiō "a tearing down". (Wiktionary)
- French démolition, from Latin dēmōlītiō, dēmōlītiōn-, from dēmōlīrī, to demolish; see demolish. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The OPFOR uses the term demolition in reference to the destruction of buildings and engineer works (bridges, fortifications, roads).”
“The Rivers State government asserts that the demolition is necessary to implement an urban renewal project initiated in 2009.”
“Massive demolition is their calling card, not only the rubble, shattered glass and fire they themselves make from everyday household items, but their own blasted body parts which occur when the X-Men tear into them.”
“Navy SEALs, special forces, experts in demolition and underwater work.”
“Guerrilla for puzzle brand Ravensburger where demolition spaces were used to communicate, here giant puzzle boxes with known buildings were places in demolition spaces.”
“You see, the caveat to the demolition is that the historical facades will be retained for the five - and ten-story structures to come.”
“The Way of All Flesh is an exercise in demolition - nothing more.”
“Owner of the complex also said Pull building 7″ which in demolition lingo means blow it up!”
“But, ironically, the “development” that supposedly required her home’s demolition is a shambles.”
“They say the demolition is another act of discrimination by the Jewish state against the Arab minority.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘demolition’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Iran-Iraq War, prevention, increase of readi..., replacement of wa..., rise of readiness, stabilisation, build up, basic training, defence procurement, force modernisation, full mobilisation, grueling training and 387 more...
All my favourite words that I come across!
Some words of from XTC songs that I like or for some reason stand out. That and a dollar will get you a ride on the bus.
A list of managed departures.
If you read this in order from top to bottom, the word progression suggests the "lifespan" of a 300-year-old house in Pennsylvania.
From the Brooklyn Bridge to St. Petersburg /
In every boardroom or boudoir across the world /
From the Fall of Rome to the Renaissance /
Through Reformation, Cold War, Vietnam.
Looking for tweets for demolition.