from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An academic.
- n. A member of an art, literary, or scientific academy or society.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A member of an academy, or society for promoting science, art, or literature, as of the French Academy, or the Royal Academy of arts.
- n. A collegian.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A member of an academy or a society for promoting arts and sciences.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a scholar who is skilled in academic disputation
- n. an educator who works at a college or university
- n. someone elected to honorary membership in an academy
From academic + -ian (“one skilled in”), partly after French académicien. (Wiktionary)