from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Sincere remorse for wrongdoing; repentance. See Synonyms at penitence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being contrite; sincere penitence or remorse.
- n. The act of grinding or rubbing to powder; attrition; friction; rubbing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of grinding or ribbing to powder; attrition; friction; rubbing.
- n. The state of being contrite; deep sorrow and repentance for sin, because sin is displeasing to God; humble penitence; through repentance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of grinding or rubbing to powder; attrition.
- n. Brokenness of spirit for having given offense; deep sorrow for sin or guilt; pious compunction; sincere penitence.
- n. Synonyms Penitence, Compunction, etc. See repentance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. sorrow for sin arising from fear of damnation
Ultimately from Latin contritio. (Wiktionary)