American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Compassion or pity for another.
- n. Sorrow or misery about one's own misdeeds or flaws.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Sorrow; misery; grief.
- n. That which brings ruth; cruel or barbarous conduct.
- n. Sorrow for the misery of another; compassion; pity; mercy; tenderness.
- n. Repentance; regret.
- n. A pitiful sight; a pity.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Poetic Sorrow for the misery of another; pity; tenderness.
- n. obsolete That which causes pity or compassion; misery; distress; a pitiful sight.
- n. the great-grandmother of king David whose story is told in the Book of Ruth in the Old Testament
- n. a book of the Old Testament that tells the story of Ruth who was not an Israelite but who married an Israelite and who stayed with her mother-in-law Naomi after her husband died
- n. a feeling of sympathy and sorrow for the misfortunes of others
- n. United States professional baseball player famous for hitting home runs (1895-1948)
- Middle English ruthe, reowthe, corresponding to rue + -th, perhaps after early Scandinavian (compare Old Norse hrygð, hryggð ("ruth, sorrow")). Compare rue. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English ruthe, from Old Norse hrygdh (influenced by Old English hrēow, sorrow, regret). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“April 24th, 2008 4: 20 pm ET woohoo ..... get a clue what state ruth is from before you judge she does not know anything .... perhaps you need to learn the abreviations for the states of the country that you live in before you decide who to vote for”
“Griswold in your case I was trying to point out that ruth is going through a difficult time and what you were saying to her isn't”
“So for the sake of him who came to teach mankind in ruth”
“i am furious after reading the remarks of our clueless supremes. ruth is the only one who was ticked off. you shouldn't have to be female to be outraged by this violation.”
“But in Spenser "ruth" means sorrow as well as pity, and three weeks after _Childe Harold_ was published, Ali committed a terrible crime, the outcome of an early grief.”
“Unfortunately active transportation is not an option when you live 30 km from the nearest small town. ruth says:”
“Write to Ruth Simon at firstname.lastname@example.org and Dan Fitzpatrick at email@example.com”
“Write to Nick Timiraos at firstname.lastname@example.org , Dan Fitzpatrick at email@example.com and Ruth Simon at firstname.lastname@example.org”
“Write to Nick Timiraos at email@example.com and Ruth Simon at firstname.lastname@example.org”
“Posted in Gloamcasts | Tagged episode, in the gloaming, john voce, Nathaniel Tapley, rachel stubbings, raoul brand, relationships, ruth bratt, zombie | 5 Comments”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ruth’.
Terms associated with the Christianity, The Bible, etc. I have a related, but more narrow list called Imbible Code.
A related list is Words Associated With Jesus.
List of Girls names.
Given names that were acceptable for play the last time I checked the OWL.
Names and Persons (including derogatory)allowed by Scrabble
Words that I think should be banned from the English language
... as in "by James Joyce"
It's exactly what it sounds like. And yeah, for real people as much as characters. Big surprise.
words for a play
Looking for tweets for ruth.