from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Sympathy with a person who has experienced pain, grief, or misfortune: paid a visit of condolence to the grieving family. See Synonyms at pity.
- n. An expression or declaration of such sympathy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. comfort, support or sympathy
- n. An expression of comfort, support, or sympathy offered to the family and friends of somebody who has died
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Expression of sympathy with another in sorrow or grief.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An expression of sympathy addressed to a person in distress, misfortune, or bereavement.
- n. Synonyms Sympathy, Commiseration, etc. See pity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an expression of sympathy with another's grief
From Latin condoleo ("to sympathize"), from Latin con- ("together, with") + doleo ("hurt, suffer, have pain"). (Wiktionary)