American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The state of being solicitous; care or concern, as for the well-being of another. See Synonyms at anxiety.
- n. A cause of anxiety or concern. Often used in the plural.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being solicitous; anxious care; carefulness; anxiety; concern; eager uneasiness of mind lest some desired thing may not be obtained or some apprehended evil may happen.
- n. A cause or occasion of anxiety or concern.
- n. Synonyms Concern, Anxiety, etc. See care.
- n. The state of being solicitous; uneasiness of mind occasioned by fear of evil or desire for good; anxiety.
- n. A feeling of excessive concern.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state of being solicitous; uneasiness of mind occasioned by fear of evil or desire good; anxiety.
- n. a feeling of excessive concern
- From Old French, from Latin sollicitudo ("anxiety"), from sollicitus, solicitus ("anxious, solicitous"); see solicitous. (Wiktionary)
“The child, become an object of anxious solicitude, is usually restrained from the more hardy play of his young neighbors, and a retarded physical development is the result.”
“The real and principal object of my anxiety and solicitude is you, and the situation in which you have been so unjustly placed, by the circumstances which have taken place.”
“As soon as the house was quiet he returned to the turret, made desperate by reflecting on her distress, and thinking it better to hazard a discovery than to leave her a whole night in solicitude so alarming.”
“My solicitude is so great, and my suspense so painful, that I cannot rest a moment in peace, or turn my thoughts into any other channel.”
“He represents for us the guide of Christ himself in the history, and his solicitude is the salvation of the world.”
“For that cannot be a true solicitude, which is not produced in the heart by any other means except by an irresistible force according to the absolute purpose and intention of”
“Now sloth is opposed to solicitude, which is an act of prudence, as stated above (Q. 47, A. 9).”
“In short, the object of his solicitude was a stout, leathern valise, in the wagon, and which was so heavy that it required the strength of two ordinary men to handle it easily.”
“When my growing heart began to seek and ask for the tender, patient solicitude, which is to the child what the light and heat of the summer sun are to the frailest tendril, no answer came to my mute appeal.”
“Pastoral solicitude, which is the characteristic chosen for mention in the collect of his feast, made him ever anxious to have the most suitable representatives in Milan.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘solicitude’.
Words that relate to learning, knowing, being enlightened...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words and phrases from Lynn Flewelling's book, Stalking Darkness.
Words from the book by Jane Austen.
Words as I learn them.
A list of words that I have generated over time.
Unfamiliar words that are pleasing, or interesting.
words I read but don't know
dedicated to my man Steven, without whom i would be addicted to drugs, lying in a gutter, hating myself, or hooking somewhere :)
Looking for tweets for solicitude.