from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Refinement and elegance of manner; polished courtesy.
- n. Courtesies; civilities.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Behaviour that is polished, refined, courteous.
- n. Courtesies.
- n. What is characteristically urban in an area; urbanness.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being urbane; civility or courtesy of manners; politeness; refinement.
- n. Polite wit; facetiousness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The character of being urbane; that civility or courtesy of manners which is acquired by associating with well-bred people; politeness; suavity; courtesy.
- n. A polished humor or facetiousness.
- n. Synonyms Complaisance, amenity. See polite.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. polished courtesy; elegance of manner
- n. the quality or character of life in a city or town
urbane + -ity. (Wiktionary)
urban + -ity (later than “courtesy” sense). (Wiktionary)