Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being tender, in any sense.
- n. a tendency to express warm, compassionate feelings
- n. concern for the feelings or welfare of others
- n. pain or discomfort when an affected area is touched
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The quality or state of being tender (in any sense of the adjective).
- n. a feeling of concern for the welfare of someone (especially someone defenseless)
- n. a pain that is felt (as when the area is touched)
- n. a tendency to express warm and affectionate feeling
- n. warm compassionate feelings
- n. a positive feeling of liking
“Iago devotes himself to wronged Othello, and says, _Let him command whatever bloody business_, and in me it shall be an act, not of cruelty, but _of tenderness, to obey him_; not of malice to other, but of _tenderness_ for him.”
“I very well understand what you call tenderness, madam; but in some situations, pity -- pity -- is the greatest insult.”
“I never, my dear girl, knew happiness till now; my tenderness is absolutely a species of idolatry; you cannot think what a slave this lovely girl has made me.”
“Tess and her mother, the Ungers, and other friends heard him speak to the college graduates about the word tenderness as it is enacted in Chekhov’s novella Ward No. 6.”
“But I feel a certain tenderness towards all of the characters, perhaps especially the most flawed ones.”
“What such cuts lack in tenderness they tend to make up for with a stronger, beefier flavour.”
“MRS. TRICKWELL: How full of tenderness is all Sir John says. — [aside] I shall deserve the five hundred pounds, Sir”
“A word of tenderness, even a parting caress when she was getting on the train, would have held her back.”
“The men who have most intimately touched my life have not known the meaning of the word tenderness, and have never had a thought for any one beyond themselves.”
“I am obliged to bear it, since no choice is left me, – I might have answered; but in tenderness for their feelings I only replied –”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tenderness’.
Words that have only one of the vowels. On this list I include only words with at least three vowels. When I first started the list, if a word had several forms, I generally listed only the one wit...
dedicated to my man Steven, without whom i would be addicted to drugs, lying in a gutter, hating myself, or hooking somewhere :)
hard word word 4 strong vocab
The words that best describe me.
New Words - Building my own vocabulary
Looking for tweets for tenderness.