from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Light or airy in quality or manner.
- n. insubstantiality
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or quality of being airy; openness or exposure to the air.
- n. Lightness of spirits; gayety; levity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Exposure to a free current of air; openness to the air: as, the airiness of a country-seat.
- n. Unsubstantiality, like that of air.
- n. Delicacy and lightness; ethereality.
- n. Sprightliness of motion or manner; gaiety; jauntiness; vanity; affectation: as, the airiness of young persons.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the property of something spacious and abounding in fresh air
- n. lightness in movement or manner
- n. the property of something weightless and insubstantial
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Stuart exhibited what is known in America as "airiness," and evidently loved to talk of his prowess.
Client commented their friends and relatives like the 'airiness' of the space.
He has found qualities lurking behind, or below, the general airiness.
Nicky Bonne for The Wall Street Journal In his new stagings, Mr. Hübbe has found qualities lurking behind, or below, the general airiness.
"It's all messaging," Carie says under her breath, seeing an analogy between the gravity of her work and the airiness of Oscar week.
I'm also loving caftans and chiffon pieces--I'm craving airiness.
Safdie's open, light-filled design befits an organization dedicated to the better angels of our nature -- the building, faced in acid-etched precast concrete with the warm tone of limestone and featuring two soaring atria fronted by windows and covered by a glass roof in the shape of a flying dove -- has the grandeur of a typical D.C. landmark but exhibits an airiness unusual in the stone slabs of the city's monuments.
Keyboardist Gary Husband elegantly shadows McLaughlin's phrasing at every turn, the hard-groovers are leavened by an easygoing airiness on slow pieces, and the synth-sounds of Joe Zawinul or the riffs of McLaughlin's iconic 1970s Mahavishnu Orchestra surface all over the place.
Mrs. Morgan, too solid for such airiness, screamed from the pain of the bump; and even the imperturbable
Records are admirably physical, the antithesis of the everywhere-and-nowhere airiness of "the cloud."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.