from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sorcerer; a wizard.
- n. One who performs magic for entertainment or diversion.
- n. One whose formidable skill or art seems to be magical: a magician with words.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who plays with or practices allegedly supernatural magic.
- n. A spiritualist or practitioner of mystic arts (often derogatory).
- n. A performer of tricks or an escapologist.
- n. An amazingly talented craftsman or scientist.
- n. A person who astounds, is an enigma.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One skilled in magic; one who practices the black art; an enchanter; a necromancer; a sorcerer or sorceress; a conjurer.
- n. An entertainer who produces seemingly magical effects by clever illusions; most magicians admit that the craft is mere illusion, rather than a true supernatural art.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the Magi or priestly caste of ancient Persia.
- n. One skilled in magic; a wizard; an enchanter; a conjurer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who performs magic tricks to amuse an audience
- n. one who practices magic or sorcery
magic + -ian (Wiktionary)